In this episode Dennis talks to PFC Wound Care CPG author Justin along with Surgery Instructors Jon and Rick about their experiences with austere wound care.
- Administer early antibiotics according to TCCC or local recommendations
- Resuscitate the patient
- Assess patient health and ability to survive any procedure
- Anesthetize the patient with local or regional if possible
- Thoroughly clean the wound
- Inspect the wound
- Debride obviously necrotic tissue if able
- Irrigate with copious amounts of clean water or sterile fluid
- Cover the wound with bulky, non-occlusive dressings
- Monitor patient for signs of infection
Downloadable Pre-Surgical Checklist
Check out our previous podcast on wound care with Rick Kelly.
One thought on “Podcast Episode 42: Wound Care Basics and Beyond”
Pingback: Podcast Episode 42: Wound Care Basics and Beyond – ProlongedFieldCare.org | Starvin Larry